Mike is a Grammy winner, a two time CMA award winner, a four time Grammy nominee, an IBMA award winner, a two time ACM nominee and a multi-platinum, #1 hit songwriter and musician.
- 2017 Grammy “Best Country Song” award for “Broken Halos”
- 2018 CMA “Song of the Year” award for “Broken Halos”
- 2021 CMA “Song of the Year” award for “Starting Over”
- 2009 Grammy nominee for “Best Country Performance by Duo or Group with Vocals”
- 2010 Grammy nominee for “Best Bluegrass Album”
- 2010 Grammy nominee for “Best Country Performance by Duo or Group with Vocals”
- 2009 IBMA award winner for “New Artist of the Year”
- 2019 ACM “Song of the Year” nominee for “Broken Halos”
- 2021 ACM “Song of the Year” nominee for “Starting Over”
- 2018 “Broken Halos” #1 on Billboard’s Country Airplay Chart
- 2021 “Starting Over” #1 on Mediabase/Country Aircheck Chart
Mike has recorded with such artists as Waylon Jennings, Emmylou Harris, Mark Knopfler, Albert King, Hank Williams Jr., Johnny Lang, Guy Clark, John Hiatt, Sting, Bo Diddley, Tim McGraw, Lucinda Williams, Bob Seeger, Patty Loveless, Martina McBride, Blake Shelton, along with many others. His songs have been recorded by Adele, Chris Stapleton, The Dixie Chicks, Kenny Rogers, Daryl Worley, Patty Loveless, Travis Tritt, Trisha Yearwood, The Fabulous Thunderbirds, Soloman Burke, Marty Stuart and Randy Travis among others.
In the late ‘90’s, Mike teamed with Kieran Kane, Kevin Welch, Tammy Rogers and Harry Stinson to form Dead Reckoning Records, one of the first indie labels in Nashville, and released the number one Americana album “Edge of Night”, as well as two critically acclaimed blues CDs, “First Blood” and “Thicker Than Water”.
After recording with Mark Knopfler in 2000 and 2001, Mike signed on for Mark’s world tour which started in Mexico City and ended in Moscow six months later just a few days before the 9/11 tragedy.
In 2006, Mike formed the groundbreaking and critically acclaimed bluegrass band, The SteelDrivers, which featured his frequent co-writer, Chris Stapleton, on vocals and former Dead Reckoner, Tammy Rogers, on fiddle. Their first two albums on Rounder Records resulted in three Grammy nominations, an IBMA award plus an appearance in the Robert Duvall film, “Get Low”.
Mike released a 2015 album, “If You Think Its Hot Here” on the Ellersoul Label, receiving widespread critical acclaim. He continues performances with his blues band every Monday night at The Bluebird Cafe in Nashville
Mike has also been honored to receive:
- Real Blues Magazine’s “Best Slide Blues Guitarist”
- Nashville Scene’s “Best Guitarist”
- Nashville Music Awards as two time winner of “Blues Album of the Year”&“Club Act of the Year”
- Music City Blues awards of “Electric Blues Act of the Year”
- W.C. Handy (The Handys), Blues Music Awards, nomination